Artist INTERVIEW: RETROFITTED
1. Hey Retrofitted, super nice to have the chance to chat with you. What first got you into music?
Big Carlo initially brought the group together we all had a passion for rapping individually but never did much with it. Carlo changed that when he invited us to join him in the studio at first just to hang out but he encouraged us to join him on a few tracks. Little did we know those first few songs would spark a fire to the passions we had all along.
2. What is your creative process like?
With six artist underneath the title retrofitted it can be a challenge to organize a song. Luckily we are all pretty selfless and we work hard to make sure each person shines. Usually someone selects the beat we will use and either comes up with a hook or a verse depending on what they are feeling. Then they bring it to the group and we discuss who would be able to best fit the theme and vision of the song. Ultimately the group comes first so we have to be comfortable rewriting or subbing out on a song to ensure the final product is perfect. We all can't be on ever song but we trust in each other to make sure the spotlight is shared.
3. What would you be doing right now, if it wasn’t for your music career?
We would honestly still be working out regular 9-5 jobs getting wasted on the weekends and repeating the cycle. Music has given us a positive outlet to still have fun but create something larger than ourselves.
4. What is the biggest challenge of being an artist?
The biggest challenge is coordinating the group. We are always eager to contribute to the groups projects but there may be a better person for the job. Additionally it can be hard to coordinate with each other's schedules.
5. What makes you different from others? We stand out because we are diverse each of us brings a unique taste and style to the table. We all come from different upbringings and places. The variety of experiences we have accumulated over the years ensures that we have something that is "Retrofitted" and relatable to a huge range of people.
6. What memorable responses have you had to your work?
The most memorable response to a song we made was on a song we made for Pax Armani's girlfriend. Her dad had recently passed so we made a song to help her through the tough times. Hearing that something you helped create has been a light in the darkness for even one person is beyond rewarding. At the end of the day if Retrofitted can make life enjoyable for one person that is enough to motivate us to continue making music.
7. Can you write what was your best performance in your career? How do you remember it?
Our best performance was at the 2022 Phoenix Hip Hop Festival. It was amazing to conquer any fears we had of being on stage and bring energy to a crowd of strangers for the first time.
8. What’s your favorite discography?
Between the group Big Carlo loves Take care, Cevilian Good kid m.a.a.d. city OJ Stinz 808s and heartbreaks
9. What’s your favorite 70’s album?
A lonely man by the Chi - Lites and Off the wall by Micheal Jackson
10. Do you usually agree with the Pigeon?
Yes we usually agree with the Pigeon
The Pigeon added the new single to his Weekly Gems playlist on Spotify.
You can check out the released music below. If you like what you hear, make sure to follow along so you can stay on top of future releases.
Words by The Pigeon
Discovered via http://musosoup.com
This coverage was created via Musosoup